Canine diets are generally well controlled if you are strict about feeding your dog only dry dog food, wet food or follow a proper raw food diet. Sometimes though, dogs get a hold of “people food” and what they ingest can be dangerous for them. Whether you have a counter surfer for a dog or you just like to share your meals with Fido, beware of these foods!
Grapes/Raisins/Sultanas/Currants – These fruits can cause vomiting and diarrhea to start, but will quickly turn into kidney failure. Cooking or baking does not reduce the risk. The toxic substances within these fruits are actually still unknown!
Walnuts and Macadamia Nuts – While most nuts should be avoided due to their higher fat content, walnuts and macadamias are much more dangerous. Symptoms of ingestion include lethargy and vomiting, and can ultimately cause damage to the nervous system and/or muscles.
Bacon – The big culprit here is too much fat! Dogs are susceptible to pancreatitis as a result of ingesting too much fat. Symptoms include loss of appetite and vomiting, and sometimes diarrhea and dehydration occur.
Peanut Butter – Xylitol is prevalent in many brands of peanut butter in the United Kingdom, so always read the label before purchasing peanut butter! Xylitol is a sweetener that can also be found in sweets, gum and baked goods. Xylitol causes hypoglycemia, liver failure and can even result in death.
Other Foods – Chocolate, caffeine, citrus, coconut, milk and dairy, onion, garlic, chives.
This list is not exhaustive but does contain some of the worst culprits. While your best bet is to make sure these foods are tucked away safely in cabinets and your dog never gets a chance to eat them, there are plenty of scenarios where a dog gets a hold of something he shouldn’t even in the most prepared of circumstances. If your dog eats something toxic (food, medicine, plants, etc) you should take your dog to your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital right away.